Internship in Surgery – VES Hospital – 2023
- Are you interested in developing your surgical skills and / or working towards specialisation?
- Work in a supportive environment alongside our fantastic team of specialist and emergency vets and nurses
Veterinary & Emergency Specialty [VES] Hospital has an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated and professional individual to work and learn in a busy but supportive multidisciplinary specialty and referral and emergency hospital on an internship for 12 to 18 months.
This permanent position is suitable for candidates who have a strong interest in starting the pathway towards surgical specialisation, or for those looking to gain knowledge and skill in surgery. MANZCVS qualification and previous experience working in a busy specialist hospital is preferred but not essential and those planning to sit MANZCVS are encouraged to apply. The intern(s) will work in support and under the direct supervision of our ECVS board certified specialists [3 specialists by Summer 2023]. You will be able to demonstrate your ability to thrive in a busy, collaborative environment.
About Your New Role
- You will work within our surgical department under the guidance and direct supervision of our specialists.
- You will have close involvement with our other departments (anaesthesia, internal medicine and cardiology, diagnostic imaging, emergency and critical care …)
- You will assist in surgical case management and be closely involved in the assessment, diagnosis and care of a diverse variety of cases.
- You will participate in case rounds/discussions, inter-department journal club meetings and case presentations.
- This is a highly supported position with no primary case responsibility.
- A 4 to 5 day work week allows you to enjoy a good work-life balance.
- Assistance with out-of-hours weekend or night surgeries will be compensated accordingly.
- Eligible for veterinary registration in Singapore
- A strong interest to learn more about referral level surgery and the management of such surgical cases.
- Ability to work as part of a large team and be an excellent team player
- Ability to work in a busy and fast paced environment
- Minimum 1-2 years’ experience in small animal practice/ completed a rotating / emergency internship or spent a minimum of 2-years working at a referral centre.
- Some experience with routine surgical procedures like spays and castrations
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a positive friendly attitude are essential for effective teamwork within the practice, together with the ability to make decisions and communicate clearly and effectively with colleagues at all levels
- Confident communication skills especially in managing clear explanations of treatments and associated costs are vital to prevent misunderstandings and client dissatisfaction.
- A commitment to practicing the highest standard of Veterinary medicine.
VES Hospital is the largest and most advanced multidisciplinary veterinary specialist and emergency hospital, in Singapore. It has a strong and progressive team of specialists and clinicians in anaesthesia, cardiology, critical care, dermatology, diagnostic imaging, internal medicine, neurology, ophthalmology, and surgery, supported by an experienced team of emergency veterinarians, nurses and support staff.
VES Hospital joined Mars Vet Health in 2020 and has moved to newly renovated state-of-the art facilities in August 2022.
The 12,000 sqft hospital is very well equipped including 4 operating rooms completed by an extensive imaging department (CT scan, high field MRI, digital radiographs, C-Arm, general and cardiovascular ultrasounds …), large hospitalisation wards and a complete ICU (advanced monitoring, mechanical ventilation …). This is completed by our own dedicated blood bank program.
What we Offer
You will be rewarded for your efforts, motivation and contributions with a competitive salary and benefits package including annual leave, continuing education allowance and study leave if needed. At Mars, we are committed to supporting the physical and mental health of all our associates, which includes a central support office in addition to a confidential Associate Assistance Programme which is available for everyone.
Applications are now open and will close on 30th April 2023.
Don’t miss out on this amazing opportunity! Send your updated CV to email@example.com.